Wes S wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2009 at 16:03, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
>
>> Wes S wrote:
>>> I managed to install EMC on my computer that already has W2k and
>>> Fedora on it.  Had to use a gparted live disk to make space on a
>>> couple drives.
>>>
>>> After the install, grub only know about the Windows install and the
>>> EMC install.  Bummer.  Should have looked for grub files prior for
>>> Fedora initialization.
>>>
>>> I mount the fedora partition with the grub.conf file on it.  I get
>>> told  don't have permission.  I try su, okay, how do I get root on
>>> my EMC install?
>>>
>>> Wes
>> To run commands that need to be executed as root you simply
>> sudo somecommand
>
> That is working.  I did a sudo xterm and a whoami.  Said I'm root.  P
>
>> or become root with
>>
>> sudo su -
>
> Tried it earlier but now it works.

Great. I usually keep one root session open at all times in first
virtual screen. That way I don't need to sudo every time I need to do
something as root.

> I used my F9 (redhat) dvd to enter rescue mode to grab my grub.conf
> file so I know the commands I need to enter.

I usually use knoppix or ubuntu disc for rescue but these days as you
know, most discs will do.

> Why does Fedora and Ubuntu keep their grub files in differently named
> files?  iirc, Ubuntu is in menu.lst.

that's the magic of Linux distributions. It's OS genetics at work. Makes
writing Linux virus more difficult :-)

Also takes a bit more logic to administer Linux systems which keeps
clueless "point and click" folks away. The worst PACs I have experience
with are those who become managers and think Linux should work that way too.

--
Rafael