Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> I am still using the old drivers, when 2.3 is released, these are deprecated
> where you should use hm2_pci (Sebastian - Correct me if I am stating
> anything incorrectly here).

The driver situation for the Mesa cards is a bit messy, unfortunately.
In 2.2.8 there are two drivers for the 7i43 and three for the 5i20.  The
drivers are:

7i43:
        hostmot2 & hm2_7i43: this is the new one, use this one
        m7i43_hm2: obsolete, do not use

5i20:
        m5i20: old, stable, still used & maintained
        hostmot2 & hm2_pci: the new one, actively maintained & developed
        hostmot2 & hm2_5i20: obsolete, do not use

The m7i43_hm2 driver was kind of an early prototype of the new hostmot2
driver.  I think there are zero users of m7i43_hm2, which is good.  All
7i43 users should use hostmot2 and hm2_7i43.

The hm2_5i20 driver was sort of an early prototype for the hm2_pci
driver.  hm2_pci provides all the functionality of hm2_5i20, and more,
and in a better cleaner way.  All users of hostmot2 and hm2_5i20 should
switch to use hostmot2 and hm2_pci instead.  No HAL changes will be
needed (other than changing the name of the driver to load).

That's the situation for 2.2.8.  In 2.3, the obsolete drivers (m7i43_hm2
and hm2_5i20) have been removed.

> Also note, in the 2.2.8 release, there is a bug which requires that you
> specify at least one encoder (if at least one pwm is specified? - Again help
> Sebastian).

There are two known bugs in the hostmot2 in 2.2.8.

One is a driver bug, the driver crashes if you disable all encoders.
The workaround is to say "num_encoders=1" in your config string even if
you dont want any.

The other bug is in the firmware, at very high step rates, the stepgens
don't deliver all the speed the driver asks for.  This can lead to
following errors.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
maybe you should spend more time thinking about your monkey