At 6:16 PM -0400 3/12/09, Ron Ginger wrote:
>  >
>>  Booth 15 at NAMES will be ours for
>>  demonstrating/promoting/distributing EMC.  This is in the back, with
>>  Jon Elson and Steve Stallings in nearby booths to the sides.
>>
>>  For better or worse, the person I spoke to at NAMES felt vender
>>  status was appropriate (due to distribution of software, even if
>>  given out free); it sounds like something to work on changing for
>>  next year (Ron Ginger's connections would be valuable).  For this
>>  year, consider it my donation to "one of the coolest examples of open
>>  source out there" (as a recent post put it).
>>
>>  Please let me know if you would like to take a shift or two in the
>>  booth; create a handout, banner, or sign; demo a system with EMC; or
>>  have other thoughts about how to promote EMC.
>>
>>  Of course, many other exhibitors and venders will be running EMC
>>  systems elsewhere.  This is a chance to place the emphasis on EMC
>>  itself.
>>
>>  Right now there will be at least an Emco F1 mill, and hopefully at
>>  least one other PC running Axis for off-line demos.  Steve Stallings
>>  will loan one or two PMDX-112 boards for illustrating configuration.
>>  There will be room for more machines, and more knowledgeable people
>>  (in both senses).
>>
>>  It seems like distributing actual Live CDs would be a Good Thing--any
>>  idea how many we could give away?  Would burn-on-demand meet the
>>  demand?  Would any purpose be served making fancy CDs with printing?
>>  Seems like folks would be fine with a CD with no printing (just
>>  envelope printed or stamped).
>>
>>  NAMES is April 18-19, Toledo, OH.
>>
>>  --Dale
>>

>I am happy to see EMC will be represented, but it seems very unfair you
>should pay as an exhibitor. I have exhibited my CNC stuff, and given a
>seminar there for many years. I was asked by one of the committee guys
>to do everything I could to encourage more CNC demos. I put notes here
>and on other lists to do that.
>
>It has always been clear that Vendors that sell products should pay for
>tables, this is appropriate and necessary for NAMES to operate. But guys
>that demo their hobby stuff are exhibitors. They do have to pay the $10
>to get in as does everyone, but they are not vendors.
>
>I have written to my contact and suggested this was not the way to build
>CNC demo interest. I will see what the response is.
>
>NAMES is run by a committee, and that has all the usual implications of
>a committee. Im sure many recall a few years ago when the committee was
>most uncooperative to our CNC demos. I have been assured that they all
>now realize that was a big mistake and they really want to encourage
>more CNC demos.
>
>In the end, NAMES is a great show, I would never miss it. I enjoy
>showing off my work and seeing what everyone else is doing. Ill be
>there, with a new router Im building (if I get it done :-) and hope to
>see lots of other CNC stuff. And we can debate the merits of our
> [...]

I have really enjoyed the CNC talks and demos that Ron and others
have given at NAMES.  They add tremendously to the show.  (I always
take notes at Ron's talks.)  And anything NAMES can do to increase
the CNC content would make me even happier.

Please bear in mind that when booking this booth, I didn't press the
issue about vender/exhibitor--at this point it matters more to me
that EMC has a nice space and location, both true of this booth, I
believe.  I'm not offended, and could see the point of view that EMC
does seem like a product, even if nothing is being sold.  And I do
see the booth as more than a demo--I think it really does want to be
"venderish" in appearance and purpose.  (One of many bad ideas I've
had already--a sign with "SHOW SPECIAL--70% OFF!!" for the booth.)

But I do think that, if in the future there is sufficient interest to
have another EMC-specific booth/table/area, it is worth going to the
NAMES committee much earlier in the year and exploring other
arrangements, because EMC is a special kind of product (plus
community).  This kind of exhibit should (I hope!) add to the show,
isn't making anyone any money, and builds the kind of community that
NAMES benefits from.  Definitely worth giving space to, gratis.
Let's see what we can actually make happen this year.

Looking forward to the show!

--Dale