On Tuesday 28 April 2009, Dave Engvall wrote:
>On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:31 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 27 April 2009, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>>> I don't know enough about EDM. Does this look like a good EMC2
>>> project?
>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170321678813
>>
>> Auction closed now.  I don't think I'd want to put $500 into it
>> since edm can
>> be done, although non-automatically for under a $100 bill, I've
>> done it
>> several times here.
>
><snip>
>
>> Did anyone ever come up with a method to automate the feed via emc
>> for this?
>
>As for gap .... Pete will tell you that when it sounds like frying
>bacon it is just right.

As was my judgement, but a 10uf cap at 75 volts & 3 or 4 amps is noisy!  Even
my 74 year old ears were complaining.  Very loud bacon. :)

>A few years ago Pete Gruendeman , gruendeman AT att.net, brought a
>sinker edm to fest.
>Nice RC unit including a C axis so he could thread. A 1/4-20 thread
>in a file is pretty cute.

What would you use for electrode?  Keeping that tip sharp enough to reach the
bottom of the thread seems to look like a major problem to me.  I'd assume
that a much smaller cap than my 10uf would also give a smoother surface?

Does Pete by chance have a web page?

>It used a custom program written in compiled Basic under DOS.  The
>gap sensor was a
>couple  couple of comparators. The Z was driven by a stepper/servo.
>He planned to use parallel springs to hang a small X/Y (+- 0.01) for
>orbiting.

I just turn the spindle on at lazy rpms, my ground connection is just the
wire, spread around the tubing and twisted on the other side, propped up to
stay out of the way.  It polishes the tubing.  Just enough run-out in hobby
brass tubing to work rather nicely, and shorts seem to be self clearing after
a couple of turns if I just stop the z and let it set still turning.

I assume he was watching the peak and average voltages?  With a 20 volt band
gap, high starts the stepper at whatever speed its set at, and a low average
stops it.  Let the rotation clear a short by stirring in fresh dielectric
fluid.  If I did it often enough (once a year doesn't meet my definition of
'often enough') I'd see what I could come up with for hardware.

>Don't know if he ever got it finished.
>
>Steve Stallings may know the status of this project.
>
>Dave

Thanks Dave.

--
Cheers, Gene
<netgod> Feanor: u have no idea of the depth of the stupidty of american law