most likely cause: failure to 'addf' the function exported by debounce.

here's a standalone hal file that demonstrates debounce (run it with
'halcmd -I debouncedemo.hal' and use halscope to view the signals)
    http://emergent.unpy.net/index.cgi-files/sandbox/debouncedemo.hal
and a screenshot of halscope:
    http://emergent.unpy.net/index.cgi-files/sandbox/debounced.png

In this demo, the input is a half sine wave, and debounce triggers
shortly after the waveform goes over 50% duty cycle (because the counter
now counts up more often than down) and goes off again shortly aver the
input waveform goes back below 50% duty cycle (because the counter now
counts down more often than up).  This is very unlike the situation
encountered with a noisy switch, but is the best I could come up with on
short notice.

Jeff