On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 15:24 +0100, Dave Caroline wrote:
> Now is the time to discuss again an umbrella organisation to pool or
> put workers in contacts with users so they can get commercial support
> if they want. I think the recent changes in Mysql's ownership has
> pushed a similar need, and their answer is the Open Database Alliance
> http://opendatabasealliance.com/ where individuals and companies can
> support the core open source software with their own expertise and
> location.
>
> I think this model would fit EMC well and could be in place before the show.
>
> I name this ship "The Open CNC Alliance" what say you all?
>
> As I am losing my job in a month or three, occasional jobs like that
> in the UK would be nice for me.
>
> Dave Caroline,
>
> IRC archivist

Doesn't Ubuntu do the same thing?

How many of us would get on a plane to fix an EMC2 machine (my hand is
up).

How many of us would call and pay to get someone on a plane to fix an
EMC2 machine or convert a machine?

How many of us would answer phone calls, e-mail, live chat, etcetera as
part of a 24/7 dispatch? Is this needed? Website?

I wouldn't mind helping to support an Alliance reference machine. Who
would house it?

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html