If the input to your motor amplifiers is "step + direction", then you
should be using a "stepper" configuration, even if the motors are
actually servomotors.

I recommend that you upgrade to emc 2.3.1 to run step+direction with
hostmot2.  There are many bugfixes compared to 2.2.8.  The upcoming emc
2.3.2 will have additional bugfixes for hostmot2 step+direction systems,
so you'll want to upgrade to it when it is released.

Read on if you really want to try to make hm2-stepper configuration work
on 2.2.8 (I don't recommend this):

The hostmot2 sample configurations called hm2-servo and hm2-stepper are
not compatible with emc 2.2.x, because they rely on some changes in
emc2.3 that allowed configurations to be simplified.  The specific error
message
    [ 3749.289319] MOTION: setTrajCycleTime() failed
is due to the fact that emc 2.2 required "TRAJ_PERIOD" and "BASE_PERIOD"
to be specified, while 2.3 does not require it (TRAJ_PERIOD is assumed
to be equal to SERVO_PERIOD when it is unspecified, and BASE_PERIOD is
assumed to be unused if it is not specified).

To fix this specific incompatability, I know that you can add
    [EMC]
    TRAJ_PERIOD=100000
    BASE_PERIOD=100000
in your inifile, and modify your .hal file to use it when loading
motmod:
    loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD
servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD traj_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]TRAJ_PERIOD
key=[EMCMOT]SHMEM_KEY num_joints=[TRAJ]AXES

However, I don't know whether this is the only incompatability between
2.2.8 and hm2-servo or hm2-stepper--if you do what I suggest, you may
just get another error.

Jeff