On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:32:57AM +0000, lesw...@gmail.com wrote:
> 1. What board is easiest to configure fort this. I am leaning toward a
> Pluto or a mesa 7i 33

I recommend Mesa over Pluto without hesitation (and I say this as the
guy who wrote the FPGA firmware and HAL driver that run the pluto-p).
The Mesa hardware is quality and comes from folks who have years of
experience designing hardware intended for industrial use.  The Pluto-P,
on the other hand, was designed for minimum cost and hobbyist-level
reliability.

> 2. Will this work using the board to control a 0-10 volt control to the
> 2250 on a pid loop it also has to have output for fwd rev and enable

the Mesa 7i33 is designed for -10..+10 output, not for 0..+10 plus
direction.  First, check whether your amplifier can take a bipolar
input--if so, you're good to go (I found an indication that a similar
model number, fincor 2230, does take +-10V input; I couldn't find info
on the 2250).  If not, you have several alternatives.

You could use an additional output pin on a second I/O connector for
direction; in HAL you would use 'abs' and 'comp' to split the PID output
into an always-positive magnitude and a direction.  If you are good with
electronics, you could also build a 7i33-like board which creates the
output you need--the input to 7i33 is PWM and direction, which is turned
into analog on the 7i33.  A third alternative would be to alter the
ribbon cabling so that 7i33 gets PWM but a fixed direction, with the
real direction signal going to the amplifier with

> 3. Will I need any other hard ware for now I want to be as cheap as
> possible?

At a minimum, you need a Mesa FPGA card (5i20 for PCI, 7i43 for EPP
parallel port) in addition to the 7i33 analog servo interface.  You are
likely to also need an isolated or protected I/O card for the direction
signals and any other I/Os your machine requires: 7i37 for full
isolation, or 7i42 for protection against a limited range of voltages
from +12V to -5V.

Jeff