I was Googleing for encoders when I found a bunch of radio amateur web pages
where people have made DIY encoders with the following chip:
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Encoders/Rotary-Encoders/AS5040

Anyone tried it? It looks really nice even though it may be too few pulses
for some of you guys.
I have 400 ppr on my router, gear ratio 3:1 on 5 mm/rev ballscrews, so it's
still more precise than the machine can handle.

Why do radio amateurs build encoders? Automatic antenna adjustment. :)