Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> It was a bit of a surprise when I saw it. The more I think about it, I
>> may have copied a version of the .ngc file that had the (gx)'s, but
>> since this was a live CD session, I'll never know. I need to get better
>> about my file versions. I have different versions on each workstation,
>> the office file server, the website, and the CNC machines, this will
>> need to change. (Off topic, I've tried keeping everything on the file
>> server using NFS, but then all of my UID's have to match, so I'm trying
>> to switch to Samba, which doesn't seem to care, but makes me think that

Ouch! I did not follow the thread so far but NFS and Samba drew my
attention. If you have option to use NFS use it. Avoid Samba by all
means unless you deal with poor OS that is not even compatible with itself.

Changing ownerships is simple
sudo chown -R user.user /somedir
and magic will happen.

One way to solve versioning is to create a script that (re)links working
directory to desired version.

>> it's not very secure. Trying to change UID's to fix NFS was a minor
>> disaster.)

On the other hand, why change the ownership? Assuming NFS server is
setup to allow write access to shared directory, any user can write in
that space regardless of local passwd or group configuration on the server.

There is another possibility of using NIS but that's an overkill for
home use unless you are preparing for a job change and want to refresh
your knowledge of that service :-)

> There are (at least) two solutions to this problem:
>
> 1) Use version control on your files, like cvs or git :)

That's not appropriate for this purpose IMO.

> 2) You should be able to map different user IDs using NFS.  The way it
> used to be done was to create a map file with the user/group ID
> equivalents, and then tell the nfs server to use those mappings based on
> the host ID.  I messed with this on 9.04 recently, and it didn't work
> the first time.  I didn't try a second time, so ymmv :)

Why bother? Changing ownerships is so easy.

> I don't know for sure, but I bet that a Samba share can't emulate
> UNIX-style permissions, so you probably end up with everything being
> executable and all uppercase or something.
>
> - Steve

Samba is very powerful. It can "translate" file permissions from
whatever to whatever you need including ownership. Just need to spend
some time configuring it. Again, if you have two Linux or Unix boxes,
use NFS and it's autofs cousin which makes mounting very simple and
reliable.

If you are concerned about security, use sshfs.

--
Rafael