2009/7/6 Martin Schöneck <c...@martinschoeneck.de>

> Jeff,
> Thanks for your help!
>
> With Tk8.5-dev instead of Tk8.4-dev I was able to build and run emc with
> axis as simulator on Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> Martin
> > On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 10:39:25PM +0200, c...@martinschoeneck.de wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If I got it right, I can use the emc2-sim without the rtai-modules
> installed, right?
> >> I want to use the simulator with axis for previewing on a normal
> computer.
> > ...[scissor cut]

I tried this (for the sake of interest and need of a sim). I upgraded a
laptop from 8.0.4 to 9.0.4 and installed EMC as a simulator. This magical
secret error appeared and it worked perfect with Jeffs suggestion.

This is what to do to get it working:

0. If you have EMC installed, remove it.

1. You have to make a jump via release 8.10 to be able to upgrade 8.0.4 to
9.x.
    $ sudo update-manager -d
    Update to latest packages and then click the upgrade button to get to
8.10.

2. When it's done, restart, fix missing configs if needed (I lost my
WiFi-password) and re-run the upgrade:
    $ sudo update-manager -d
    Update and go to 9.0.4.

3. Now, make Jeff's "fix":
    $ sudo apt-get install tk8.5-dev
    $ sudo apt-get remove tk8.4-dev
    $ sudo apt-get remove tcl8.4-dev

4. Add following to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    deb http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy hardy base emc2.3-sim
    deb-src http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy hardy base emc2.3-sim

    You may have to add the pgp key (I'm not sure as I already had it).
    $ gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 8F374FEF
    $ gpg -a --export 8F374FEF | sudo apt-key add -

    Then update your source list:
    $ sudo apt-get update

4. Download the latest EMC tar-ball. Unzip and enter the src-folder.

5. Make all the dependencies. Maybe some parts can be skipped, but I let my
PC get everything:
    $sudo apt-get build-dep emc2

6. Configure and install (I did an install, not run-in-place):
    $ ./configure --enable-simulator
    $ make
    $ sudo make install

7. Then when you start EMC, there's a block of simulator configs to choose
from. I copied the SIM Axis_mm-files and made my own config. Then just run
the thing as usual, except there's no mill to cut your fingers in.

9.0.4 now running EMC on my laptop. :)

Regards,
Sven