On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 07:09:08PM +0200, Haberler Michael wrote:
> I've finished a first release of a HAL userspace component to drive a
> Toshiba VF-S11 VFD via Modbus, vfs11_vfd. It's adapted from gs2_vfd.c
> and works fine for me so far. A description how to connect the VFD and
> set initial parameters is included.

Thanks for your contribution to emc.  I don't have a machine with a VFD,
but I know a lot of people do.

> ps: I'd appreciate a hint as to how to socially-compatible add this to
> the EMC2 tree. Thanks.

In the medium term, we're trying to make it possible for all types of
components to be built separately from emc2.  Right now there are a
number of problems that make this not work very well for userspace
components.  I hope that a number of improvements in this area will be
in 2.4, but that's still a ways off.

I've prepared a tar that contains your source plus a Makefile and a copy
of the modbus source and header from emc.  It should work on emc 2.3
(and maybe 2.2) systems with the emc2-dev package installed.
    http://emergent.unpy.net/files/sandbox/vfs1_vfd.tar.gz
you can "make" or "make install" ("sudo make install" on systems where
emc is installed as a package)

Some of the stuff in that Makefile is far from guessable and that's why
I hope to improve this for emc 2.4.

Jeff