Hi Steve,

Yep - only for threading, but in counter mode can EMC still make
corrections for spindle speed variations?

Yes. I am not sure if you can thread with the spindle in reverse using counter mode though.

Hopefully this list allows attachments. This circuit uses a 4024 or 74CHT4024 counter. You can get them from any of the usual suspects such as RS, Rapid etc. You may well get away without R1 and C1 as they are just noise filtering. It depends on how much noise there is on your machine. The input is one line from either the A or B channel of the encoder.

Actually I have just had a thought - you will probably also need to stretch the index pulse from the encoder. It is likely to be very short and at higher speeds EMC won't reliably detect it. Here is an example of a pulse stretcher circuit though you would have to change the values to suit your setup <http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/basics/components/555mono.htm>

Les

<<inline: 4024.gif>>