On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:16:48 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm not happy with the Chinese 1024 pulse encoder, but I've also got an
>unused Stegmann DG60L 500 pulse per rev encoder I'm going to test.
>Looking at the docs that too only outputs a single quadrature count
>index pulse, but it's much better quality and I'm hoping the signals out
>from it are cleaner.

Just tried something with a very surprising result.

PC is dual boot with Windows XP, ran Mach3 at 35kHz Kernel speed and
it's capable of seeing the index pulse and giving an accurate rpm
reading to 1000 rpm! I find it odd that Mach can use it but EMC can't
above 200 rpm? Any ideas?

However, both show the odd missing pulse causing kicks to the rpm
display throughout the range, so I've snipped the wires and am going to
fit the Stegmann. I need to make an adaptor plate first though. Be
weekend by the time I get that done.

Steve Blackmore