I'm a new user when it comes to Linux and am interested in moving from Mach3.
However not being a programer of any depth, I'm a little leary of taking a
working machine and trying to convert it to linux and possibly ending up w/ a
machine that isn't working. My main reason for moving to Linux is to install a
5 axis [Spindle mounted to a B/C axis] system on my router. Because of my
encoder count numbers, my machine would be best served by some form of an
independant Motion board [Mesa or some other].

To start w/, does anyone have some good links to help a new user better
understand the Linux language [writing a HAL file & compiling etc] that a
person could read to increase knowledge etc. I'd be interested in buying books
even, but rather than just pointing and shooting, thought I'd as which would be
recommended first.

Btw does DSCMP/IP now have an interface to enable connection to EMC2? Is there
a general concensis as to which of the add-on motion control modules is the
best option for EMC while using step & Dir for servo control? I'm currently
using Granite Devices servo cards and would prefer to stay w/ them if possible.

Thanks in advance...

J. Johnson