Hm,

I don't have access to my EMC system right now, but the webserve also
runs Ubuntu, it does accept the ~ on the commandline -
as you can also see from the error in Aram's mail (Error: file TR2~ - No
such ...).

Maybe there are unprintable characters in the filename?
You could try name completion by typing the tab key, E.g: srm
/home/aram/Desktop/T <TAB>

Or just use the file manager to remove the file - that shoul work also.

Rob