Peter,

>> Heres what I would check:

Can you get a HALScope plot of the step response? <<

Yes, but not until Monday when I will be back at the shop.

>> Do you have velocity or torque mode amplifiers?

(Torque mode amplifiers will typically require a higher sample rate and are
tougher to tune)
your .6" error even with a P of 20 suggests torque mode to me. <<

Velocity

If it is of any value, although I know they are not directly comparable, the
PID values when using the Galil controller were:

P: 94.25
I: 0.6
D: 1005.63

>> What number of counts generates a full scale drive (+- 10V) with your
current
P setting? (Disconnect analog out from amps and measure voltage versus error

counts) <<

Again I can get that for you on Monday.

Thanks again,
Eric