On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:42 -0400, "Eric H. Johnson"
<ejohn...@camalytics.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (For Peter) I think I found the main problem with tuning the X and Y
> axes. I
> used the registry values of the old system to set the initial parameters
> for
> EMC, and goofed on interpreting the accel  parameters. In the Galil
> world,
> these are in encoder counts / sec^2 rather than units per sec^2. So
> MAX_ACCELERATION was set much too high. After backing it off, I am
> getting
> much better results for the X and Y axis.
>
>  My question now is about angular axes. While the X and Y axes have on
>  the
> order of 5000 counts per inch, the rotational axis only has 51.1 counts
> per degree (18400 per revolution) If I use 18400 for my INPUT_SCALE, I can
> tune the axis rather easily. Of course in this case if I issue:
> G1 A1 F50 It will turn 360 degrees rather than 1 degree.
>
> If I set INPUT_SCALE to 51.1 and adjust MAX_VELOCITY and MAX_ACCELERATION
> proportionately, tuning again becomes much more difficult, ISTM due to
> the granularity of the scaling.

Write down the PID gains that work when the scale is 18400.  Then, since
you are dividing the scale by 360 to get 51.1, you should be able to
also
divide the gains by 360, and the resulting PID results should be
identical.
Take the old gains, divide by 360, and try them as a starting point for
tuning.

Regards,

John Kasunich
--