2009/11/4 Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>:

> How does a differentially steered robot work?   Is that some type of
> harmonic drive?

I suspect he just means a robot with separate controls for the left
and right wheels. For RobotWars use people generally use a radio
control with a "V-tail" mixer to convert forwards/backwards/steer into
separate left-right mixing. I suspect that the aim here is to do
something on-board.

Incidentally, one of the UK robotwars robots used a different system,
a differential with a motor in it (powered through slip-rings) that
overlaid a steering input onto the main forwards-backwards. They
seemed unimpressed when I pointed out that that was a daft way of
doing it (driving one half-shaft and reversing the other with a static
motor driving the prop-shaft for steering would have been simpler)

--
atp