Hi all,

I have a mill which runs a mesa 5i20 card and I am now starting a
lathe build/retrofit (more on that later!). Compared to a few years
ago there are now three or four variants of these cards available:
5i20, 5i22-1, 5i22-1.5 and 5i23.
Also, I know there has been some good work on the modular hm2
fpga-code and emc2-driver for these cards.

- How stable is the hm2 fpga-code + driver right now? anyone using it
routinely for 'production' ?
- Any benefits of the 5i23 (400kgate fpga) over the 5i20 (200k fpga) ?
- The 5i22 cards are more expensive, have a bit more I/O, but isn't
the large fpga overkill for a setup where emc2 runs the pid-loops on
the cpu anyway?

For the lathe I will have servos on the Z- and X-axes, not sure about
DC-brush vs. brushless yet, but Jon Elsons PWM amps work very well on
the mill so I am leaning towards them. Then the spindle will hopefully
be driven by a big 1.75kW brushless servo. The lathe project also
calls for a revolver-type toolchanger which needs one I/O bit for a
pneumatic cylinder, and one servo/stepper axis to rotate the revolver.
In addition I will need the usual jog-pendant I/O: MPG (thinking about
two, separate for X and Z), a few selection-switches, and some
buttons. Live tooling is a dream for the future :)
Looking at the schematic for the mill[1], I think the lathe setup will
be pretty similar and I should be OK with 72 I/O pins.

regards,

Anders W

[1]
http://www.anderswallin.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/dc_servo_schematic_2008jan19.pdf