2009/12/2 Florian Rist <fr...@fs.tum.de>:

>> If the drives are linked by a belt, then it might simply be a case of
>> releasing some shaft clamps and running the axis up and down my hand,
>> re-tightening and re-checking.
>
> I tried that, unfortunately I can only move one side by about 1 mm (about
> 3 mm would be required).

Sounds promising, though. Can you post some pictures somewhere we the
wild speculation is a little more rooted in reality?
If it is a bolted-up gantry then it might be possible to slacken some
things off to give more freedom there (most probably the gantry slide
bearings on the gantry, or the side columns to the upper (X?) axis.

> I did when the machine was installed, even tough I didnĀ“t have a high
> precision spirit level. The machine should be horizontal with a maximum
> deviation of 0.5 mm per meter. Good enough?

It is more important that both long edges slope by the same amount so
that the bed is flat. In principle I think you could work out the
deviation from flatness by seeing if a pencil on a (massless,
frictionless, inelastic) string tied to the ceiling above the table
draws a perfect circle on the table. The smaller the included angle of
the string, the more a small deviation from flat will distort the
circle. Replacing the pencil with a dial indicator and marking the
points where the reading is the same would be more precise.
However, I don't know if this would work in practice, it is a
thought-experiment based on geometrical considerations much more than
it is anything I have ever heard of being tried.

--
atp