On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Maximilian Heise wrote:

> Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 18:01:31 +0100
> From: Maximilian Heise <maxhe...@yahoo.de>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] What parport chipsets are working ? Was: Mesa 7i43 and a
>     oxford semiconductor ox12pci840 chipset pci parallel card
>

> Hey Sebastian,
>
> thanks for your fast reply.
>
> Do you know which parallel port chipsets on pci cards are indeed working
> in epp wide mode beside the onboard mainboard ? That I can make a list.
>
> 1.
> Oxford PCI952
>
> SUN1888 seems available too. And I found a card on ebay with some ite
> chipset. Have you or anybody else tried these ite or sun1888 chipsets.
>
> Cheers
> Max

Heres some tests I did a year or so ago:
PCI ADD-IN:

OXSEMI PCI952 Long test >3x10^10 EPP ops error free

MOSCHIP 9805 Does not implement EPP correctly, no hope
This seems to be true of all 98XX cards

SUNIX 1888 long test >3X10^10 EPP ops error free
will not work with 12' cable ok with 5' suggest <2 feet and rev C 7I43

LAVA MOKO S1 long test >3x10^10 EPP ops error free (fastest card!)

Note Sebastian did not get ths to work with the driver most likely a Linux
Paraport setup bug with LAVA chip since the hardware works fine

ITE 8875 Trying to figure out how to enable
(comes up with all ports disabled)

PCIE ADD-IN

MOSCHIP 9901 Waiting for card

Testing done with:

12 foot IDC flat cable, December 2008 firmware, Rev C 7I43 hardware
except Sunix card (wont config or loopback test with 12 foot cable)

Rev C hardware is:

1. Rev B 7I43 with 4 SMT capacitors soldered on back near
parallel header

2. Rev C 7I43

Note: I do not suggest using a 12 foot cable, but wanted a worst case cable
for
testing. I suggest the Sunix cards be used with a short cable (2 foot or so)
as they have limited control signal drive

>> Maximilian H wrote:
>>> I am trying to get this combination of a mesa 7i43 and an oxford
>>> semiconductor ox12pci840 chipset pci parallel card to run, but I cannot
>>> get it to run in epp_wide mode and I cannot get a servo thread to run
>>> with a cycle time of less than 10 millisecs. With onboard mainboards I
>>> got 1 millisecs cycle times without errors.
>>>
>>> Has anybody succeeded where I failed so far ?
>>
>> Hm, i've had success with the Oxford Semiconductor PCI952 chipset with
>> wide mode disabled, but i haven't tried the 840.
>>

>>> Is the information in the hm2_7i43 doc still valid that moschip 9805
>>> parport pci cards are junk ?
>>
>> Yes, the 9805 chipset is buggy and there's nothing any driver can do
>> about it.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)