if there was a simple interface where the operator selected from a
menu / dropdown box what threads need to be on each side, load a plug
into the machine and hit go...  it might be pretty feasable.  i think
the problem would be convincing stores to buy the machine as opposed
to ordering loads of fittings to make things work.

reminds me of when i recently replaced brake lines on a family
member's minivan.  I could either buy lots of lines and adaptors, or
some steel line, 4 fittings and a flaring tool.  I passed the decision
to the family member, and they ended up spending more on fittings and
adapters than i would have on the flaring tool.  It sure would have
been nice to have the option of specifying the threads i needed and
have the fittings offed right there on the spot instead of having to
use the adapters and everything.