Looks like the Mesa 5i23 is the clear winner for me.  I don't mind
paying a little bit more for the extra gates, they might come in useful.

I miss the ISA bus (original IBM PC), seems like it's gone forever the
fact that you could etch a circuit board, then hop down to the local
radio shack (when you could still actually build a radio with what they
sold) and actually get all the components you needed to make it do
something, solder it together, and put it in your PC and have it do
something all in one day with no planning.

Thanks everyone for all the info on the mesa cards and how they work
with EMC2.

I'm going to start a new thread on servo drives because I've got
questions about what the tradeoffs are of the servo drives with EMC2
that are unrelated to the mesa boards.