From: richard harris <compact...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Directional motion loss
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 2:22 PM

The encoders on this machine are differential sealed units from BEI.  When i
got the machine one was nonfunctional so i sent all three to BEI and had them
rebuilt and upgraded from an incandescent bulb to led.  The encoder is mounted
to the rear of the motor, and shows no sign of any oil or coolant
contamination. Currently the encoders are wired as single ended, i plan on
ordering differential receiver from US digital on monday.  All wires are
shielded and grounded at the controller side only.  All cables are run in
flexible metal conduits.
I checked all the grounds along with all the mechanical couplers, nothing
looked unacceptable.

I wrote the code below to see if i could manage to duplicate the error without
scraping parts.
G1 X.5 F30
M3 S4000
#1 = 0
O101 while [#1 lt 150]
G1 X2.0 Y2.0 z-1.0 F40
G1 X.5 Y0.0 Z-1.716
#1 = [#1+1]
O102 if [#1 EQ 30]
S3000
(MSG, 30 loops down)
O102 endif
O102 if [#1 EQ 60]
S2000
(MSG, 60 loops down)
O102 endif
O102 if [#1 EQ 90]
S1500
(MSG, 90 loops down)
O102 endif
O102 if [#1 EQ 120]
S1000
(MSG, 140 loops down)
O102 endif
O101 endwhile
M5
G1 X.05 Y0.0 Z-1.716 F30
G1 X0.0 F10
M2
This code has more linear inches of motion and is longer than the program that
was exhibiting issues.
I ran it three times without the coolant or spindle running, i had two other
machines running at the same time as i did the other day. I also had halmeter
showing the encoder count, not sure if it would show anything of value but i
was curious. The machine repeated within the tolerance of the indicator..
I then ran it three times with the coolant and spindle running and witnessed
two thousands of motion lost over the three runs.  However Halmeter showed the
same number of encoder counts.
I am assuming two things, 1 my problem is noise, 2 the error was less during
the test because i did not load the spindle.  Do those sound like reasonable
assumptions?
My plan at the moment is get a differential receiver on all the encoders, and
run new wires on the x-axis just in case.  If these mods don't improve the
situation I'm thinking of adding a line reactor to the VFD.
Any other straight forward things I can do to improve the noise situations?