PWM is "pulse width modulation".  PDM is "pulse density modulation".

In PWM you have a carrier frequency, a duty cycle, and a resolution.  The duty
cycle specifies what fraction of the cycle should be high, or active.  The
resolution determines how accurately the requested duty cycle can be
implementes in the pwm output signal.  For example, if the PWM signal ha sonly
2 bits of resolution, your effective duty cycle can only take the values 0%,
25%, 50%, or 75%.

In PDM you have a "time-slot duration" (or time-slot frequency) and a duty
cycle.  You do not have a carrier wave (like you do with PWM).  Instead each
little "time slot" in the output signal is independently set high or low, and
they average to the requested duty cycle.

Regarding your second question, the hm2 firmwares are compiled with the
free-as-in-beer VHDL tools from Xilinx.  Jeff Epler recently did some work to
automate this process, but I don't know much about it.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
never be discouraged