On 05/03/2010 18:10, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> The problems with trying to replicate hobbing with CNC rotary axes are,
> the rotary encoders would need to be very high resolution, feedback and
> command control very tight, and data throughput high enough to keep up.
> I think it has been stated before that current systems aren't up to the
> task. I think it would be great to have someone try, but I think the
> odds are against any success.

iv cut gears with just a standard involute gear cuter it works grate,
but hobbing it would or should make it alot quicker process. i guess
also comes down to how acerate you wish to make these gears etc also.

i think if you can overcome your speed problem on rotating the blank
like you have said you should be on the way to getting some where close.
let the spindle do as it likes (just like in rigid tapping) make the
blank follow the spindle nice and close in motion. (we do this with the
Z axes in rigid tapping no?)
i know some servo drives have the ability to take an exsternal encoder
or other source and follow it with out the need of anything else so
maybe something to look at too?

if you can keep them locked in sync at all times every pass should line
up so doing a rerun over the gear should work fine.

will be grate to see how you get on if you take this further.

good luck,
rob