Andy Pugh wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 21:47, robin turner <ro...@lumenlab.com> wrote:
>
>>  Edit your .Hal file to include something like:
>>  net xenable => parport.0.pin-04-out
>>  net zenable => parport.0.pin-05-out
>>  net yenable => parport.0.pin-17-out
>
> Just as a general point, that bit of HAL-code doesn't do anything.
> The first term in a "net" line is a freely-chosen signal name. To do
> anything the signal name needs to be "net"-ed to both an input and an
> output pin (or signal source and signal sink, if you prefer)
>
> A "net" statement can only contain one output pin, but many input
> pins. As all the axis-enables go true at the same time the shortest
> line would be:
>
> net signal-name  axis.0.emp-enable-out => parport.0.pin-04-out
> parport.0.pin-05-out  parport.0.pin-17-out
>
> However you probably also need to enable the relevant stepgens too. I
> am not at all clear if you can use the signal name as a signal source,
> ie whether a following line
> net signal-name => stepgen.0.enable stepgen.1.enable stepgen.2.enable
> is a valid syntax or not. I suspect not.
>
> You could add all the stepgen enables to the same line as the
> amp-enables, but that would make for a very unwieldy "net" statement.
>
> It is probable that I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't found
> a good description of the "net" command in the documentation. I remain
> confused by it.

You can add more pins to a signal with additional net lines.  Example:

    net signal-name one-pin another-pin
    net signal-name a-third-pin and-a-fourth

The above two lines are the same as:

    net signal-name one-pin another-pin a-third-pin and-a-fourth

The precise definition of "net" is something like this:

    net signal-name pin1

If a signal called "signal-name" already exists, connect pin1
to it.  If the signal doesn't already exist, create a signal
called "signal-name" with the same type as pin1, and then
connect pin1 to it.

    net signal-name pin1 pin2 ...

If a signal called "signal-name" already exists, connect pin1
and pin2 (and any additional pins) to it.  If the signal doesn't
exist, create a signal called "signal-name" with the same type as
pin1, then connect pin1 and pin2 (and any additional pins) to it.

If the signal already exists, then pin1 must be the same type.
Pin2 and higher must be the same type as pin1.

You must always specify at least one pin.  If all you want to do
is define a signal without connecting any pins to it (dunno why
you'd do that), use "newsig signal-name type".  The net command
was added so you don't have to explicitly create the signal or
worry about its type.

Hope this helps clarify things,

John Kasunich