Stephen,
   I agree, that EMC and associated software can do a GREAT DEAL more than
   just interpret and display g-code, but Riley seems to be a 'rookie'
just trying
   to understand the basics of EMC architecture and use.  Knowing all the hooks
   are there is great, but right now he appears to need to know the
'main functions'
   and general use characteristics of EMC and the AXIS user interface for EMC.

 Riley,
   Keep asking, so far all the answers I have seen are correct.  But
like the old
   tale of blind men describing an elephant when being placed near different
   portions of the elephant, we all see it and interpret what we see from a
   different angle.  None of the interpretations are wrong, some may be 'more
   correct' for helping you understand the portions you need to start getting
   EMC2 and Axis to be useful to you.

   Steve has a greater understanding than I do (I learned some stuff from his
   post to you) but it may be more esoteric than you need at this moment.
   It is still good info!  ...   But again, that is my perspective of
trying to describe
   the 'part of the elephant' that I am touching.

   Hang in there!
><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23