From: "BillRebey" <b...@rebey.com>
> Note that when I did the wget of the install script, I got the Hardy
> version, as there didn't appear to be a Karmic version.
>
> wget http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/emc2-install.sh
>

> Was this the correct thing to do?

Either use precompiled packages on Hardy (they don't work on Karmic), or try
to build your own packages for Karmic (that involves kernel, rtai and emc2
packages).
There are some experimental packages for karmic [1], but as the name says
they are experimental (don't be amazed if your PC blows up ;).
Currently we are planning to add packages for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, as
that will be the next LTS release.

Regards,
Alex

[1] - http://linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/