Andy Pugh wrote:
> On 21 April 2010 16:48, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
>

>> It is worthless without the index.
>>

> Not entirely worthless, you could still use if for closed-loop spindle
> speed control. This actually makes some sense with a geared head like
> the Bridgeport. My mill has two gears, but it doesn't matter which one
> I engage, EMC2 still gets the right spindle speed as long as it is
> within the speed range of the selected gear. I have considered adding
> a couple of LEDs (physical or pyvcp) to indicate when I would be
> better off in a higher or lower gear.

I have 8 "gears", really 4 belt positions and direct-drive or
back-gear.  I've been thinking of putting a microswitch on the backgear
handle and some long-distance photo detectors to sense the belt
position.  Then this would feed into a HAL mux to select the right
calibration factor for the spindle VFD.

Jon