Do those superslants have brushless servo motors with encoder feedback?
   Did they usually have linear scales on them also..  or not?

1984 is pretty old for electronic controls.  From what I have seen, not
many 1984 machines operate with their original controls without some
pretty significant "workarounds".

Dave