Don - I am running with 2.3.0 with a Mesa 5i20 and am noticing the same
behavior; I have at least for the moment returned to mode 2 (home switch use
only) as that is currently sufficient; my initial expectation was that an
unfinished part of my system may have been at fault. It's a servo system,
separate limit +/-, separate overtravel +/-, separate home for each axis (total
5 sw per axis, nothing shared), running encoders as hostmot2 modules, and the
index pulse does occur. If I use mode 3 or 4 for homing, the do_homing() proc
doesn't appear to see the index pulse at all and continues to the overtravel
limit. I can reset count signals with the .index-enable, so I believe the
hostmot2 and hardware are fine.

I expect there is an additional "....encoder.xx.index-enable 1" or equivalent
required for the system to actually use the index, however in my earlier
dealings with the hostmot2 I thought that particular parameter was to clear the
position counter on the next index pulse, instead of being used by another part
of EMC; and thus you would have to set that parameter true every time you
wanted to clear the position. I may of course be, way off, however it is also
described this way in the current man page for hostmot2. I was unable to find
any additional requirement to set it true for homing use.

(EDIT: ....encoder.xx.index-enable 1 does indeed work as described in the
hostmot2 man page; verified just now on my lathe. I can't see how one would use
the same parameter for the homing setup).

Ted.