On Saturday 22 May 2010, Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
>At 06:08 PM 5/21/2010, you wrote:
>>Thats not what you sent, there, each inch was a -0.022" z move for each
>> move I commented out in the first section, then it switched to -0.030
>> till it hit the straight section.  Obviously this is test code, and I'm
>> being a picky old fool.  The teacher mode kicks in and I can't help
>> myself.
>
>Ach, ya...  I see what you are saying now.  I copied the coords from
>a program output that dealt with the tapers on 5" centers and it
>interpolates the dimensions in between.  This will be the odd
>case.  Most of the tapers I have were designed on 1" centers and
>don't follow such nice even tapers between the 5" centers...  Doh!

>> >A very wee bit.  It compresses down and there's little or no give.  The
>> >vacuum pump is a piston driven one, not one a them funky little vane
>> >ones.  Powerful sucker, so to speak...  ;-)
>>
>>So is the one I mentioned.  It could pull a vacuum good enough to make a
>> poor vacuum tube amplifier.
>
>Kewl.  How many CFM is yours?

Pulling from atmospheric, I'd guess about 3.  I have it hooked to a 3.5 foot
piece of 6" pvc, capped on both ends, trying to force a piece of maple for a
gunstock to a drier condition.  15 years its been rough cut, and when I laid
into it to cut the ramp for the thumbhole, the next thing I knew there was a
hairline crack running from the top of the butt clear into the rear of what
would be the action space.  Another piece of this same plank did the same
thing 6 or so years back, and as it was a try this to see if it works model,
I just poured superglue into it as I carved.  Several ounces of it.  So that
stock does work although I wasn't impressed with how I did the back of the
thumbhole, and of course with all those lines of superglue in it, some over
1/16" wide, its butt ugly.  Too short to be a boat hook, it will fit a wood
fire some day.

Unforch, I can't seem to find a leak in my sewer pipe glueup.  The end that
allows me to open it is a 6" screw in cap, at least thats where a soap
solution bubble if I put a couple pounds of pressure in it, and std gun
caulking just seems to suck into the threads & eventually allow a pinhole
leak, so I need to cycle it every 30 minutes to keep it below 20".  Not
practical.  And with so much caulking sucked into the threads, I expect I'll
have to make wrenches to get it open again even after I cut the now dried
caulk.

>>That sounds cool.  I think most of us would like to see how long a machine
>>you have built as for fine fly rods in say 3 pieces, my imagination says
>> you would need the two butt pieces to be around 4 feet each, so thats a
>> 60" X machine.
>
>Yep.  The bed itself is 6 1/2 feet long.  I can cut up to a 53" long
>strip.  Most of the rods I make are 8' and under, and most of those
>are two piece rods.  Anything longer and they're usually a three
>piece rod.  I work with the hex shaped bamboo rods typically, but the
>design of this machine allows me to cut the other cross sections
>(penta, quad, and others) by a simple rotation of the cutter
>heads.  In the Hex cross-section there are six strips that make up
>each completed rod section.

I have had one or two of those, very cheap ($12) Japanese made at the time
(1965).  Swing nice, and get crooked just by standing them in the corner
overnight.  I don't recall what became of them.  But I do recall how nicely
they handled, and would like to have another someday.  Fiberglass and carbon
fiber just don't do it for me.  When you are in production, let this list
know where we can buy them, and about the cost because I would like to have
another before they toll the bells for me.

>I've been hand planing each of those 6 strips per section - butt and
>2 tips for a total of 18 strips. Usually takes me about 45 minutes to
>an hour per strip. At the feeds and speeds I'll be working with on
>the machine, I should be able to crank out a strip every couple
>minutes.  Nice little time saver...

Yes, and since time=money, which means you can compete with Orvik on a
leveler field and still make a profit.  Whats not to like.  ;-)

>Mark

Cheers, Gene
As a goatherd learns his trade by goat, so a writer learns his trade by
wrote.