lloyd wilson wrote:
> While dissecting the Hurco mill that I'm converting to EMC, I've
> realized I don't know how lubrication is handled in CNC  machines. This
> one has an auto oiler  (pneumatic driven), and a pump in the machine
> base that evidently returns oil to the oiler unit.
> There was a mechanical timer in the cabinet that was set to turn on for
> 4 min. of a 15 min. cycle - I clipped it before tracing, but assume it
> controls the sump pump.
>
> So -
> -is lubrication normally on whenever any axis is in motion?

This all depends on the lube system installed on the machine.  Many
smaller machines
have a Bijur electric lube pump.  Some of these can be just hooked to
the E-stop relay, or
turned on only when the spindle is on.  The cam and clock motor in the
Bijur pump
are preset to deliver the right amount of oil over time.  Others need
some kind of timed
operation.

I have not seen such a system in smaller machines, I wonder if this is a
hydrostatic ways
machine?  Usually, the scavenge pump would be on all the time, too.  I
think you need to
delve into this lube system more deeply.  If it is a Bijur, get the
model numbers and call
them, they are great to deal with, and should be able to send you all
the manuals for the
specific pumps you have.  That may shed light on their function and timing.
> -if not, is it provided on a periodic basis (maybe a shot when motion
> starts, further
>   shots at timed intervals, or just at intervals). If so, what
> parameters would be
>   appropriate?
>   these would probably be initiated by or-ing all the
> axis.N.amp-enable-out signals

I just found out these signals are all the same, all on or all off.
basically, any time the EMC state
is machine on, they are all on.
> -what facilities within EMC provide minutes-long timing functions?

The hal component "timedelay", set the delay in seconds.  You could set
up two of these chasing each
other's tails, to give the on-time and off-time.
> Somehow, a
>   realtime thread seems overkill for that sort of operation.

You could rig a pair of 555 timers that are enabled by E-stop-off.