My old control box was, well, old and slow and had only 512 MB of RAM.

So, I bought a bunch of parts on Newegg to build a small PC based on
"Mini ITX" motherboard (really small, to fit into tthe cabinet).

I put Ubuntu Lucid on it and installed EMC2 with a shell script from linuxcnc.

After the installation of the new computer, most things work, however,
Z axis following has gone to HELL and instead of under 0.001, it is
something like 0.026 (sic).

Adjustment of P and I helped a bit but it is still above 1.

This is on a Bridgeport Interact 2 mill.