Andy,

There is no reason why you cannot connect a Sata or USB CDROM drive to
your system, install the OS and then remove the CDROM drive.

Get the latest EMC2 live CD and boot the system off the CDROM drive,
then have it load the system right off the live CD.   You can't get any
simpler than that.

I have a portable USB CDROM drive that I use all of the time just for
that purpose.    But you could temporarily plug in a Sata CDROM also.
The Pico power supplies work fine and so does the 510 board.

Dave