On 9/27/2010 4:09 AM, Aram wrote:
> Hi
> I can see that big demand in CNC controllers for multi spindle machines.
> There are many shops where most machines are CNC multi spindle 3-5 axis
> lathe. There are something like 2 and up to 6 CNC lathe machine ?
> including up to 5 axis spindle- lathe in one machine. Something similar to
>   http://www.index-werke.de/ic/englisch/524_ENU_HTML.htm
>
> In order to use EMC2 to retrofit them need to use 6 independent EMC2 3-5
> axis machine but all those 6 independent EMC2 machines must be synchronize
> by main computer.
> In other word need to build system where EMC2 is a building block of much
> larger machine.
> Industry start produce more complex parts and to make good production it
> is impossible to use single machining unit like 3-5 axis machine. When
> EMC2 for work group or EMC2.2 or EMC3 will be done then there will not be
> competition with other low cost CNC systems. Right now EMC2 as a single
> system compete with MACH 3, Anilam,  CENTROID and few other systems.
> In system for work group ( EMC2.2 or EMC3) main computer will synchronize
> about 10 independent EMC2 machines, and provide additional control of
> machining system in whole like part loader and unloader, count of total
> parts, etc.
> I think it will make EMC2 very unique and more powerful.
>
> Tnaks
> Aram  .
Aram:

The NBS/NIST program that brought us the original EMC was all about
factory automation. Jim Albus, the visionary Division Chief who led the
program developed the hierarchical control system architecture of which
the Automated Manufacturing Research Facility (AMRF) was a reference
implementation. Machining centers, possibly running EMC, could be
controlled in the way you describe. (disclaimer, I was in an entirely
different part of NBS/NIST but was involved with AMRF and its follow-ons
in a peripheral way because I was working on the product data standards
that were used to define the parts to be made. If I get details about
the program wrong, blame it on my bad memory.).

There are lots of reports online. Look for combinations of keywords like
NBS/NIST, hierarchical control system (HCS),  real-time control system
(RCS), Albus, AMRF, etc. Check out the current research
(http://www.nist.gov/MEL).

This is a major undertaking that requires major resources. Communicating
among the machines (that's what NML is about) is the easy part.
Controlling the complex of machines is the hard part. First off, one
needs to settle on a language to define the production process analogous
to (but one hopes better than) the way g-code defines certain
machine-tool processes. Then one needs an interpreter that converts the
production definition into coordinated machine-tool processes. And
that's just for starters. It's an interesting goal but a bit of a
stretch for a loose confederation of open-source developers.

Regards,
Kent