> Sometime around 2004 these volunteers took the EMC project to the next
> stage:
> relocated it to sourceforge.net under the GPL license and the volunteer
> community-based development model, and gave it the new name, EMC2.

That is not quite correct.
The result of NIST's work is work under Public Domain - as is everything
that results from public funding in the US.

NIST registered the Project at sourceforge sometimes around (or just before)
september 2000 - maybe someone has a more precise date? [1]
The code released by NIST "into the wild" called emc (also known as EMC1) is
to this day mostly Public Domain, with various contributions that mention
(or don't) proper copyright and licensing informations - a big mess mostly.

In 2003 emc2 was born: it's a partial rewrite of emc1, with only PD code
rewritten/merged as GPLv2 code [2]. Since then (mostly) all development has
happend for emc2 (under GPL or LGPL).

Regards,
Alex

[1] -