Generally they adjust the frequency throughout the day. As the load on
the system increases the frequency drops. To increase the frequency they
bring more generators on line. If the frequency gets too high they
reduce the generating capacity. The really tricky bit is matching
generating capacity to the load well enough to maintain a reasonably
accurate 50/60Hz

Les