I do work occasionally with a company that make coil winding and
inserting equipment for motor manufacturers.

After they load a stator assembly with coils they often lace it.

Their lacing machines are customized for a certain motor stator and they
operate like specialized sewing machines, poking needles through the
windings as the stator is rotated and catching the thread/cord on the
backside of the stator
very similar to a sewing machine.    The lacing machines even tie the
knots at the end of the lacing procedures.   You can't follow the
needles with your eyes, the needles move that fast.  They are servo
motor driven machines.

The cord that I have seen them use looks like old style braided fishing
line and it isn't waxed.   But the entire stator is usually dipped and
then baked after assembly.

Dave