From: gene heskett [mailto:ghesk...@wdtv.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:14 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Halscope as an oscilloscope?

On Sunday, January 23, 2011 08:04:16 am Erik Christiansen did opine:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:45:10PM -0600, Chris Radek wrote:
> > But as a general purpose scope, being able to see analogish stuff is
> > the primary mode of operation (for me?) and halscope and a parport
> > really wouldn't be any use at all.
>
> For that I use one of these:   http://bitscope.com/

I have not personally used one of these yet, but it would be my first choice
of devices to consider should my Hitachi V-1065 show up face down in the
pool someday.

> It's a dual-channel 100 MHz digital storage scope, plus logic
> analyser, and suits my needs very well. There are other similar
> products, but this one can be linux hosted, so the others don't compete in
my workshop.

A huge plus to me too.  I don't know at the time I've wasted using windows
based tools that will not give a meaningful error to the technician when
windows has decided to disallow access to that $3000 card the program needs
to function.  Reboot after reboot to catch it in just the right mood to let
the software run has been a major PITA for me literally 100's of times in
the past as I was recalibrating new head drums in DVC-PRO broadcast digital
VCR's.

--
Cheers, Gene
Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.