On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Viesturs L?cis wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:46:33 +0200
> From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Ethernet with EMC2
>
> Hello, gentlemen!
>
> I recall that ethernet as communication interface has been mentioned
> here on this list, so I would like to ask anyone with experience in
> this area to share it.
> I would appreciate, if You could point me to some sources of
> information - how it works, are there any different standards etc.
> I have to establish a control over MIG welding machine, which is
> designed for automated welding. Its manufacturer offers following
> interfaces:
> Interbus
> Profibus
> Devicenet
> Ethernet
>
> My feeling is that using ethernet is best option (or even only option,
> since I did not find any information about using EMC2 with those
> remaining interfaces. I know that EMC2 can use Modbus). I would like
> to find out, how it works, but all my attempts to search the web about
> ethernet gives results of networking PCs. I tried different keywords,
> but still the "curved hands" problem remains.
>
> By the way, does anyone have experience with Mesa 7I44 card? And where
> could I find information about it? There is no manual in Mesa
> homepage.

The 7I44 is a 8 channel RS-422/RS-485 interface for use with our FPGA cards.
The 7I44 uses RJ-45 connectors so the standard Ethernet Cat5 cables can be
used for serial links. This arrangement is used now by our 8I20 drive and
7I64 isolated I/O card. It is not an Ethernet interface.

I believe an indovidual has added Ethercat support to EMC, but only
I/O, not drives so far as I know.

> Thanks!
>
> Viesturs

Peter Wallace