On 02/03/2011 02:49 PM, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Les, I thought that friction is not at all proportional to speed?
>
> It is a value that only depends on the direction (sign) of speed, not on the
> value of speed.
>
> Am I mistaken?
If I remember properly, Tormach goes over friction, static verses
dynamic, in normal machine ways, and when using linear bearings. Greased
or oiled steel ways tend to have a difference in static and dynamic
friction, and the friction climbs with speed. I believe they said that
this increase in friction becomes a problem when speeds are up in the
high servo range. The difference between static and dynamic friction is
reduced when a Teflon like substance covers the ways. Linear bearings'
friction doesn't increase much with the speed of a modern servo system.

See the .PDF linked to below and check out the topic labeled:
"Brief History of Linear Motion – Axis design"
They go into more detail than I have here.

http://www.tormach.com/document_library/TD30204_DesignAnalysis.pdf