A little update on this.

I set up a web page with some relevant links and drawings.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/34-Adding-Servo-Control-to-Knee/

<http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/34-Adding-Servo-Control-to-Knee/>The
motor is a 3000 RPM, 65V DC motor by Soelma. On it, there is a "MI 40" 15:1
gearbox by SITI. So, if the DC motor runs at 3,000 RPM, the output shaft
turns at 200 RPM, and the knee would move by something like 40 IPM.
Perfectly acceptable.

The knee has a pneumatic assist, so the compressor is what will be doing
much of the heavy lifting work.

What makes me very excited, is that the gearbox has a hollow shaft (if I got
this right), and if so, I can make an adaptor and slide it right on the
current shaft for cranking the knee, saving a lot of space and making it a
more robust design.

I bought an E5 encoder from US Digital, and will mount it on the encoder
shaft that is in the back of the DC motor.