From: gene heskett [mailto:ghesk...@wdtv.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:42 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Sharpening jointer blades question

On Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:19:43 pm Edward Bernard did opine:

> I think your only mistake was buying from Lowe's. I've heard that
> manufacturers selectively cut corners on tools they supply to the big
> box stores to make their price points though I've never seen any real
> evidence. But who knows? At any rate they are definitely price gouging
> on the knives. Here are Amana knives at half the price:
> http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5578-planer-jointer-knife-sets-t-1-high-sp
> ee
> d-steel-hss.aspx

I'd love to follow the link, but we had a couple power bumps about half an
hour ago, and my cable modem says there isn't any cable, so no network
either.

Funny, the loss of cable doesn't effect our tv's, cuz we get what we get off
air.  We get enough trash programming, and 300 more channels of trash is
still trash.

20 min later, cable's back so I have network.

I looked at the link, but I'm not sure if any of those knives would fit, not
without taking some off the back (or bottom).  Their narrowest 6" blade is
5/8" wide, and I don't think the knife pockets are that deep, the current
ones are only about 1/2" wide on the wide face.

But TBT, if I can use the 5/8" knife, I think I would rather spend about a
bill and get 3 of the carbide tipped versions, which are about $33 a knife.

That site not having pix of the knives does tend to make me a little
cautious.

One thing is for sure, with knife prices being gouged,  the possibility of a
helical carbide tipped drum looks better & better.  Yup, a Grizzly G0452 is
the same machine with a better base, $325 will put a complete carbide tipped
drum in it.  And Grizzly sells the steel blades at $22 a 3 pack, and they
are 5/8" wide when new.  So the plain but carbide tipped Amana blade should
fit too.

Choices, too damned many.  I may call those jerks I ordered from & cancel in
the morning, then go with the Amana carbide tipped blades.  I have a Dewalt
power planer with carbide blades in it I use for free hand carving & those
have 1 small nick, but have probably made 500 pounds of shavings over the
years as I trimmed & shaped the ends of commercial split rails to fit the 2
foot narrower between posts fencing around the front of the place. In 20
years, I've replaced all of them twice now.  Supposedly treated stuff too.
:(

> A trick I've used often when I get a knick in the knives is to simply
> offset one knife and the problem is solved.

I went back out and swapped the diamond wheel for a re-inforced fiber about
2.5" in diameter, then went back over those blades again.  Tested it on a
piece of 1x2 clean yellow pine, the %$#@()& nicks were back in 2 passes,
before I'd made that 30" stick straight again.  These OEM blades are shit
steel.  I'd say they wuz wheel weights, but a magnet sticks to them.
Grrrrrrr.

Thanks Greg

--
Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>

Real-Time with Splunk. Collect, index and harness all the fast moving IT
data
generated by your applications, servers and devices whether physical,
virtual