Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 19:03 -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> ... snip
>
>>> One problem is that the component load can crash by sending a loop of
>>> carriage returns. The only way to recover is to power off the PC and
>>> start over. I think it has to do with the serial port not loading
>>> completely, then crashes when by component takes over. Anyone have any
>>> ideas?
>>>

>> Printing to console or outputting to the serial port?
>>
>> - Steve
>>
> Data gets sent to the active screen, so if I focus a gedit window or
> terminal, I get carriage returns. Other windows seem to select the
> default button, so shutdown just cancels. Ctl-Alt-Del doesn't work.
> Eventually the PC freezes and I pull the plug.
>
> I should probably test the serial port and transfer a few bytes before
> going into the polling loop, but I haven't figured out how to reproduce
> the problem at will, so verifying the solution could be a problem.

Does it still happen if you don't have debug set?

The only places I saw where a newline only is printed are in modbus.c,
and only happen if mb_param->debug is set.  The receive_msg function
always prints a newline if debug is set, but should also print some
other stuff ("waiting for a message" at the beginning of the function).
modbus_send will also print a blank line, with nothing else if a
zero-length query is sent (not sure if that's possible).

- Steve