On 3/26/2011 4:04 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:

>>> Or, you can get the whole bloomin' pendant for $179...
>>>
>>> http://www.kelinginc.net/BreakoutBoards.html
>>>

>> Yeah, I JUST can't do that!  After much eBay and web surfing, I couldn't
>> do any better than the $56 MPG, but no WAY I will pay $179 for a cheap
>> plastic box with a couple switches and the encoder.  I did set up a
>> CNC4PC pendant for a guy, and I was not terribly impressed with the
>> thing.  My first homemade pendant is too big, and the switches are in
>> the wrong place for one-handed operation (I was given a big MPG).  My
>> second one uses the smaller HEDSS encoder and works better.
>>
>> Jon
>
> I haven't used a pendant, but I don't see myself using one single
> handed. I would probably make a few points around the machine to mount
> the pendant where I can reach it, but keep my eye on what's going on.
> That's why I think the feel of the detent feedback is important. I would
> look to the major CNC machine makers for insight on this. They have
> decades of experience and have weeded out any of the fancy stuff that
> doesn't get used in the long run.

You might be able to one-hand the button pushing on the pendant, but I'd
love to see a video of one handed MPG movement if you aren't near any of
those handy "mounts."  ;-)  Depends on what you want out of a pendant I
guess.  I find the MPG wheel very handy except on long jogs.  And Stuart
has a machine that has some really long jogs possibly.  Other than the
MDI, that's where a joypad would come in really handy.

I've been using the MPG heavily while I mapped out my vacuum hold down.
  I've been taking hold-down height measurements every inch the length
of the hold down.  One turn of the MPG wheel = 1.000" when the MPG
distance knob is set to "x 100", and the Z axis moves .0001" for every
MPG click at "x 1".

Mark