On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:27 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> I just found this website:
> http://www.photofab.co.uk/index.php/products/optical-encoder-discs-and-actuators/
>
> I don't know what the pricing would be like, but that could be a
> perfect way to add a spindle encoder, if combined with
> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=1711830
> or
> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0196987
> (I also found a tiny surface-mount one a while ago, but can't see it now)

This looks like a nice module if you want something very tiny...
http://usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/modules/aedr

I haven't used one, but might at some point in order to get an encoder on my
spindle where I have very limited space.  A custom wheel may be required but
the prices sound too high for a one-off.

-Tom