On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 02:51:02PM +0100, andy pugh wrote:
> On 6 April 2011 14:31, Igor Chudov <ichu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > normally people discharge caps through a resistor only.
>
> In that case, what would be the normal discharge time? Last time I did
> the calculations it looked like a permanently-connected resistor
> needed to be rated at several tens of watts to not melt during normal
> running.
> (1 s discharge = 100W, 10s, discharge 10W)

<$0.02>
With the low value braking (dishcharge) resistor applied by the relay on
estop or shutdown, I'd only fit a high value permanent bleed, with a
view to shunting charge which can come back out of the dielectric after
a brief complete discharge. I'd fit it on the terminals of one or more
of the capacitors in a bank, to maintain protection in the event of
rewiring which disconnects the braking resistor.

Then a watt or two will do the job.
</$0.02>

Erik

--
"The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory
than in practice..."